One of the things that I have come to realize is that today there are more options available for men and women to shop online than ever. There are many sites that didn’t exist back in 2004 when I started my blogs. There are many big names in plus size fashion that are making changes to keep up with the demand. Here are a few thoughts that I have on why shopping online for plus size items is a good thing.
1. Demand – The demand for stylish trendy plus size fashions has always been there. Brick and mortar stores as a whole where not meeting this need so people that where tired of being frustrated going into stores decided to go online to sell plus size clothing, lingerie and accessories.
2. Variety – Considering that a lot of the plus size websites are individually owned and operated there is a lot of variety when it comes to styles and trends.
3. Profits and Savings – In 2005 there was almost 5 billion dollars spent online by men and women looking for sizes 18 and above. With that much money at stake it’s a win-win situation for the merchant and the consumer.
4. Privacy – Unlike when dealing with dressing rooms and insensitive clients, shopping online for a plus size individual allows shopping from the privacy of your home.
5. Understanding – since the majority of sites for plus size individuals are run by plus size individuals there is a level of understanding of there audience that other sites trying to cash in on plus sizes won’t be able to match.
6. Bargains – In a lot of cases shopping online for plus size items can cost you less in the long run. Most merchants are looking for customers that will return so there will be “Online Only” deals, especially from merchants that have both an online and offline presence.
7. Convenience – if you don’t like to fight with traffic and lines at the store then shopping online is as simple as opening up your browser.
8. Sales – Unlike going to the store to try and catch a sale shopping online will give you access to sales more often which in the long run can save you a lot of money.
9. Word of mouth – With sites like EBay and Amazon it allows customers to read reviews written by other shoppers so you know if a particular product is right for you.
10. Global shopping – Shopping online allows you to shop any place that delivers to your door and with plus size shopping being global you can take advantage of some of the fashions available in other countries.
There are of course many other reasons to shop online that are specific to the shopper. It’s a good thing that in 2006 there are more options available to larger individuals when it comes to shopping and merchants are looking to fill that need.